Kinetic Light-Up Speaker
What you get
Make some noise with this light-up speaker — complete with foam balls that bounce to the beat! Assemble the base, then build the speaker’s circuit from scratch in order to connect the lights with the sounds. Get hands on with transistors, resistors, capacitors, and other key components — all while learning about the role each piece plays. Read all about the ins and outs of your speaker driver, get the lowdown on low-pass filters, then dive into other cool technologies (like laser lights!) that make sound visible. Ready to get movin’ and groovin’ with electronics?
• Includes everything you need to build a USB-powered speaker, including a screwdriver, wrench, and high-quality electronic parts. (USB power source not included.)
• Speaker features flashing lights and drivers that launch colorful foam balls into the air as music plays.
• Speaker connects wirelessly to play music from a phone or other device.
• 37-page instruction booklet explores the science behind speakers, circuitry, and as well as cool technologies that connect sights with sounds (like your speaker)!
• Experiment with different types of music (fast versus. slow, loud versus. soft) to discover what gives the best bounce.
• Finished speaker dimensions: 8.23 x 9.15 x 3.11 inches (20.9 x 23.2 x 7.9 cm)
From the desk of the product designer:
Behind the design
“We didn’t originally set out to design a speaker that was as visual as it was vibin’. But during an early test run, we happened to scatter some beads on a speaker cone. It was so fun watching the beads dance around, we knew we had to make that a part of the project — but with colorful foam balls, of course. We added the tubes later . . . after the speaker sent the balls flying all over the place. (Oops.)”
By the numbers
Speaker cones tested: 14
Songs played during design and testing: 162
Foam balls sacrificed in the name of science: Dozens!
This Kinetic Speaker has been the coolest build my son has done, so far. He absolutely is stoked with the final results and feels so proud that he build it himself. Not only getting to build a really cool, usable item, he got to learn about sound, resistors, capacitors, & LED, all while being hands on. The instructions are very clear and the booklet comes packed with knowledge! A must have from Kiwi Co!
Love it! This has been my son’s favorite project so far! My son is 9yrs old and was able to build this with just a little help from me. The speaker works great! Very loud and good sound! 5+ stars
So, so awesome. My 9 year old put this together with minimal help. The sound from the speaker is surprisingly good!